Analog Circuit ( EC-405 )
( EC- 4th Sem )
After Completion of this Course students can:
- Understand concepts of Feedback Amplifier and Oscillators.
- Understand concepts of Introduction to integrated circuits.
- Understand concepts of Operational Amplifier.
- Get Characteristics of op-amp and op-amp applications.
- understand concepts of TIMER and Voltage Regulator.
Main Contents of this course which students needs to learn are:
- Concept of feedback and their types, Amplifier with negative feedback and its advantages. Feedback Topologies.
- Concept of Positive feedback, Classification of Oscillators, Barkhausen criterion, Types of oscillators: RC oscillator, RC Phase Shift, Wien Bridge Oscillators. LC Oscillator: Hartley, Colpitt’s, Clapp and Crystal oscillator.
- Advantages and characteristic parameters of IC’s, basic building components, data sheets.
- Differential amplifier and analysis, Configurations- Dual input balanced output differential amplifier, Dual input Unbalanced output differential amplifier, Single input balanced output differential amplifier, Single input Unbalanced output differential amplifier Introduction of op-amp, Block diagram, characteristics and equivalent circuits of an ideal opamp, Power supply configurations for OP-AMP.
- Ideal and Practical, Input offset voltage, offset current, Input bias current, Output offset voltage, thermal drift, Effect of variation in power supply voltage, common-mode rejection ratio (CMRR), Slew rate and its Effect, PSRR and gain bandwidth product, frequency limitations and compensations, transient response, analysis of TL082 datasheet.
- Inverting and non-inverting amplifier configurations, Summing amplifier, Integrators and differentiators, Instrumentation amplifier, Differential input and differential output amplifier, Voltage-series feedback amplifier, Voltage-shunt feedback amplifier, Log/ Antilog amplifier, Triangular/rectangular wave generator, phase-shift oscillators, Wein bridge oscillator, analog multiplier-MPY634, VCO, Comparator, Zero Crossing Detector. OP-AMP AS FILTERS: Characteristics of filters, Classification of filters, Magnitude and frequency response, Butterworth 1st and 2nd order Low pass, High pass and band pass filters, Chebyshev filter characteristics, Band reject filters, Notch filter; all pass filters, self-tuned filters, AGC,AVC using op-AMP.
- IC-555 Timer concept, Block pin configuration of timer. Monostable, Bistable and AstableMultivibrator using timer 555-IC, Schmitt Trigger, Voltage limiters, Clipper and clampers circuits, Absolute value output circuit, Peak detector, Sample and hold Circuit, Precision rectifiers, Voltage-to-current converter, Current-to-voltage converter.
Some books which will help you to learn this course:
- David A. Bell: Operational Amplifiers & Linear ICs, Oxford University Press, 2nd edition,2010.
- D. Roy Choudhury:Linear Integrated Circuits New Age Publication.
- B. Somanathan Nair: Linear Integrated Circuits analysis design and application Wiley India Pvt. Ltd.
- Gray Hurst Lewis Meyer Analysis and design of analog Integrated Circuits fifth edition Wiley India
- Millman and Halkias: Integrated electronics, TMH.
- Sedra and Smith: Microelectronics, Oxford Press.
List of Experiments
- To measure and compare the op-amp characteristics: offset voltages, bias currents, CMRR, Slew Rate of OPAMP LM741 and TL082.
- To determine voltage gain and frequency response of inverting and non-inverting amplifiers using TL082.
- To design an instrumentation amplifier and determine its voltage gain using TL082.
- To design op-amp integrator (low pass filter) and determine its frequency response.
- To design op-amp differentiator (high pass filter) and determine its frequency response.
- Design 2nd order Butterworth filter using universal active filter topology with LM741.
- To design Astable, Monostable and Bistablemultivibrator using 555 and analyse its characteristics.
- Automatic Gain Control (AGC) Automatic Volume Control (AVC)using multiplier MPY634
- To design a PLL using opampwith MPY634 anddetermine the free running frequency, the capture range and the lock in range of PLL
- Design and test a Low Dropout regulator using op-amps for a given voltage regulation characteristic and compare the characteristics with TPS7250 IC.
- Design and implement RL phase shift osicllator.
- Design and implement wein bridge oscillator.
- Design and implement inverting and non-inverting amplifier using op-amp Ic 741/324.
- Design and implement differentiator using op-amp 741IC/ LM324IC.
- Design and implement intigrator using op-amp 741/ LM324IC.
- Design and implement Summing Amplifier.
For "Course Notes" you can refer our Notes Section for 2ndYear( Click Here )