Analog Communication ( EC-403 )
( EC- 4th Sem )
After Completion of this Course students can:
- Understand concepts of Frequency domain and representation of signals.
- Get overview of Communication system.
- Understand concepts of angular modulations.
- Understand concepts of AM transmitter& receiver.
- Understand concepts of Noise.
Main Contents of this course which students needs to learn are:
- Frequency domain representation of signal: Fourier transform and its properties, condition of existence, Fourier transform of impulse, step,signum , cosine, sine, gate pulse, constant, properties of impulse function. Convolution theorem (time & frequency), correlation(auto & cross), energy & power spectral density.
- Types of angle modulation, narrowband FM,wideband FM, its frequency spectrum, transmission BW, methods of generation (Direct & Indirect), detection of FM (discriminators: balanced, phase shift and PLL detector),pre emphasis and de-emphasis. FM transmitter & receiver: Block diagram ofFM transmitter& receiver, AGC, AVC, AFC.
- Overview of Communication system, Communication channels Need for modulation, Baseband and Pass band signals, Amplitude Modulation: Double side band with Carrier (DSB-C), Double side band without Carrier, Single Side Band Modulation, DSB-SC, DSB-C, SSB-SC,Generation of AM, DSB-SC, SSB-SC, VSB-SC & its detection,Vestigial Side Band (VSB).
- AM transmitter& receiver: Tuned radio receiver &super heterodyne, limitation of TRF, IF frequency, image signal rejection, selectivity, sensitivity and fidelity ,Noise in AM, FM.
- Classification of noise, Sources of noise, Noise figure and Noise temperature, Noise bandwidth, Noise figure measurement, Noise in analog modulation, Figure of merit for various AM andFM, effect of noise on AM &FM receivers.
Some books which will help you to learn this course:
- Simon Haykins, Communication System, John Willy.
- Singh &Sapre, Communication System, TMH.
- P K Ghose, principal of communication of analog and digital, universities press.
- Taub& shilling, Communication System, TMH.
- Rao, Analog communication, TMH.
List of Experiments
- To analyze characteristics of AM modulator & Demodulators.
- To analyze characteristics of FM modulators& Demodulators.
- To analyze characteristics of super heterodyne receivers.
- To analyze characteristics of FM receivers.
- To construct and verify pre emphasis and de-emphasis and plot the wave forms.
- To analyze characteristics of Automatic volume control and Automatic frequency control.
- To construct frequency multiplier circuit and to observe the waveform.
- To design and analyze characteristics of FM modulatorand AM Demodulator using PLL.
For "Course Notes" you can refer our Notes Section for 2nd Year( Click Here )